Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Walsall v Lincoln City

13 November 2012

Match Reports

Walsall v Lincoln City

13 November 2012

Saddlers exit the FA Cup


THE SADDLERS took the field for this FA Cup first round replay in determined mood as we looked to return to winning ways and progress into the next round.

A couple of early corners for the visitors came to nothing before Alan Power fired over from outside the area with seven minutes on the clock as The Imps started in a lively fashion.

Some good play by Malvind Benning saw him win the ball on the left and break into the area before feeding George Bowerman whose strike from the angle was beaten away by the 'keeper.

With 13 minutes, Febian Brandy was caught as he made a deft touch. It gave Walsall a free-kick in a promising position that was cleared by the defensive wall.

There was a sharp move by The Saddlers on 24 minutes which ended with Brandy doing well to release Bowerman who twisted and turned inside the area only to blaze well over as the shooting chance opened up for him.

With our tails up, Benning did well to progress forward before hitting a low strike that flashed just wide from distance. It was certainly an encouraging spell for Walsall.

A high free-kick pumped into the area caused problems for David Grof as Lincoln forced a corner which flashed just wide.

Chances few and far at either end as the opening period petered out. Some trickery by Brandy in stoppage time saw his low ball into the danger zone hit Andrew Boyce and almost deflect into his own net but Paul Farman was on hand to gather.

HALF-TIME: Walsall 0 Lincoln City 0

The opening exchanges of the second half saw Febian Brandy cause problems with two tricky runs into the area. The first ended with a block from the 'keeper and the second saw him ride a couple of challenges before hitting the side-netting.

It was Lincoln who took the lead on 51 minutes as Alan Power broke the offside trap before firing past Grof to make it 1-0.

Some good work by Dan Gray on the right saw him get in a cross that was cleared as far as Jake Sheridan who fired over as The Imps enjoyed a good spell of pressure in the wake of the goal.

A free-kick out wide on the left taken by Jamie Paterson headed wide by the visitors who then eventually cleared the resulting flag-kick.

Richard Taundry saw yellow for a foul inside the Lincoln half just before Bowerman was replaced by Aaron Williams with 20 minutes to go.

A foul by Lincoln skipper, Gary Mills on Adam Chambers just past the half-way line sparked a melee as players from both sides got involved but the referee soon had control.

Ashley Hemmings came on with 79 minutes on the clock to replace Brandy.

As the clock ticked down, a ball in from the right fell at the feet of Taundry who fired home to make it 1-1.

A foul on Jamie Paterson out wide gave Walsall a free-kick that was scrambled clear at the near post in the second minute of four minutes added time.

The final action of normal time saw The Saddlers bring the ball out of defence well before Ashley Hemmings' strike landed inches wide.

With the scores level, 30 minutes of extra-time was required.

FULL-TIME: Walsall 1 Lincoln City 1

The Saddlers started extra-time with purpose as Adam Chambers dipped one just over. Moments later at the other end, Grof blocked well on the edge of the area to deny Jamie Taylor as he cleared the loose ball to safety.

An effort from Paterson was just off target in the 98th minute.

The Imps went back in front three minutes before the end of the first period of extra-time when a corner was headed home by Vadaine Oliver.

HALF-TIME EXTRA-TIME: Walsall 1 Lincoln City 2

The early action of the second period of extra-time saw Nicky Featherstone booked as The Saddlers started on the attack, looking to get back on level terms.

After Adam Chambers had seen his header fly over the crossbar, Jake Jones came on for Richard Taundry in a last throw of the dice for The Saddlers.

Walsall bombarding the Lincoln goal as Paul Farman blocked to deny Aaron Williams.

Moments later it was all over when Dean Holden's header back didn't carry enough weight and Vadaine Oliver guided the ball home for his second and Lincoln's third.

A foul on Featherstone gave Walsall a free-kick right on the edge of the area in the final minute. Paterson stepped up to take and the ball found its way home via a deflection to make it 3-2.

The Saddlers had time for one last raid but Andy Butler was off target with his effort and with it went our chances of progressing in the competition.

FULL-TIME: Walsall 2 Lincoln City 3

WALSALL: David Grof, Richard Taundry (Jake Jones), Andy Butler, Dean Holden, Nicky Featherstone, Adam Chambers, Jamie Paterson, Febian Brandy (Ashley Hemmings), George Bowerman (Aaron Williams), Malvind Benning, James Chambers. Subs not used: Ben George, Paul Downing, James Walker, James Baxendale.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match