Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 November 2012

Club News


26 November 2012

Another busy month for The Saddlers...

THE MONTH of November began with our attention turning to FA Cup matters as we faced a first round trip to Lincoln City.

In a game where we found our Blue Square Premier hosts in determined mood, it took a late leveller from George Bowerman to secure a replay in a 1-1 draw as we refused to let our heads drop.

We were back in League action three days later with the visit of a Scunthorpe United side who had made a slow start to the season but had a new manager at the helm in the returning Brian Laws.

The Saddlers never got into our stride and succumbed to a heavy 4-1 home defeat with Will Grigg notching a late consolation effort.

It was a performance to forget, and whilst there was an improvement for the following game, a home clash with Swindon Town, we found ourselves a goal down within the opening minute and never recovered as our visitors added a second after the break.

Our third home game in a week saw us in FA Cup first round replay action.

Once again Lincoln City took the lead and it required a late equaliser, this time from Richard Taundry, to take the game into extra-time.

During the extra period, The Imps raced into a 3-1 lead and Jamie Paterson's last-gasp goal proved mere consolation as we exited the competition at the first hurdle.

A first-ever trip to Crawley Town saw us up against a side who had adapted well to life in League One following their promotion and were in the top five.

But Dean Smith's side went out and played with a confidence that had been lacking in recent weeks. We deservedly took the lead through Febian Brandy and although out hosts levelled the scores, we regained the lead through Ashley Hemmings.

With Aaron McCarey making his debut in goal following a loan switch from Wolves, everyone played their part in an improved display, however a deserved three points was taken away by a late Crawley equaliser.

Our busy schedule of matches continued with a midweek trip to League leaders, Tranmere Rovers.

Once again, Walsall were the better side for long periods and Will Grigg missed a couple of good chances as we shared the spoils in a goalless stalemate.

The month ended with a home clash with bottom-of-the-table, Hartlepool United.

In constant rain which made conditions difficult, our north-east visitors took the lead from the penalty spot with their only attack of the opening period.

The Saddlers refused to let our heads drop despite being much the better side and we got back into the game early in the second half through Dean Holden but, try as we might, the winner was not forthcoming.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match