Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


15 December 2012

Club News


15 December 2012

All the action direct from Banks's Stadium...

THE SADDLERS returned to home action for the visit of Yeovil Town.

There was a chance for Will Grigg within the opening two minutes when he broke through only for his effort to be pushed away by the visiting 'keeper.

After a bright start, Walsall took a deserved lead when a ball from the right found its way across to Jamie Paterson on the far side and he placed the ball into the far corner to make it 1-0.

Another inviting ball into the danger zone, this time from Paterson on the left, was only half-cleared as far as Sam Mantom just outside the area and he dipped an effort just over.

The Glovers thought that they had an equaliser in the 22nd minute but the effort was ruled out for a foul on Aaron McCarey. Moments later another raid saw Gavin Williams' inviting ball just evade Paddy Madden at the far post.

A marauding run by Febian Brandy saw him felled on the edge of the area as half-time approached. It presented Jamie Paterson with a free-kick on the edge of the area that he curled inches over the crossbar.

With half-time looming, Paterson fired just wide as Walsall deservedly went in at the interval in front.

HALF-TIME: Walsall 1 Yeovil Town 0

The Saddlers started the second period with purpose and saw plenty of the early ball as we looked to build on our lead.

A Dean Holden header from a corner landed just wide of the target, whilst at the other end, McCarey did well to claim a high cross into the area as the travelling fans urged their side forward.

The second goal arrived in the 72nd minute when Brandy did extremely well just inside the Yeovil half to leave his marker trailing in his wake and he drove forward before feeding, Will Grigg who applied the finish to make it 2-0.

There was a chance for Grigg shortly afterwards when a long ball forward picked him out and with the 'keeper advancing he lobbed the ball just over.

Shortly after that chance, The Glovers pulled a goal back when a low ball in from the left found former Saddlers' loanee, Reuben Reid in space and he made no mistake from close range to make it 2-1 with 13 minutes to go.

The first change of the afternoon for Walsall saw Brandy replaced by George Bowerman.

A foul by Ben Purkiss gave Yeovil a free-kick out wide which was headed wide.

With time running out, Paterson was replaced by Malvind Benning.

There was a last minute booking for Adam Chambers for a foul on the half-way line and as the resulting free-kick was pumped forward, Sam Foley was able to fire the ball home to equalise.

It was a disappointing ending for The Saddlers as we were forced to settle for a share of the spoils.

FULL-TIME: Walsall 2 Yeovil Town 2

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match