Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


29 December 2012

The latest action from the Capital...


THE SADDLERS stepped out at a soggy Matchroom Stadium for this clash with Leyton Orient that was given the go ahead by an 8.00am pitch inspection.

Walsall made a lively start with a couple of early half-chances before a header from Febian Brandy at the far post was well saved by Jamie Jones in the home goal.

The home side had a few moments in the opening exchanges, but nothing to trouble Aaron McCarey too much.

With half-an-hour on the clock, Craig Westcarr curled in an effort from just outside the area that went just inches wide with the 'keeper beaten. Moments later, a long ball pumped forward was well controlled by Westcarr with his back to goal and his shot on the turn was well saved by Jones as the loose ball was scrambled clear.

It was certainly The Saddlers who were asking all the questions at this stage.

It was The O's who took the lead two minutes from the break when David Mooney was challenged as he broke inside the area and as the penalty appeals were waved away, Mooney seized upon the rebound to guide the ball home from the angle.

The goal gave the home side a lift and they went close on a couple of occasions immediately afterwards.

HALF-TIME: Leyton Orient 1 Walsall 0

An early effort from Jamie Paterson flew over as Walsall came out of the blocks with purpose.

On 55 minutes a low drive from Lloyd James took a deflection on its way to being well saved by McCarey who pushed the ball around the post.

Just before the hour, a foul on Westcarr gave Walsall a free-kick in a promising position which Paterson fired into the defensive wall.

There was a yellow card for Febian Brandy on 61 minutes for a foul on Lloyd James on the half-way line. Ben Purkiss soon followed him into the book for a foul on Kevin Lisbie.

The first change of the afternoon saw Brandy replaced by Flo Cuvelier in the 66th minute.

An error by McCarey saw him come for the ball and not make it as Andy Butler saved him with a timely block in front of goal.

A long-range attempt from Sam Mantom packed power and was pushed out by the 'keeper.

With 73 minutes on the clock, George Bowerman replaced Grigg.

The Saddlers were back on level terms when Sam Mantom hit a screamer that flew into the net to give Jones no chance with 11 minutes left on the clock.

As the rain lashed down, a free-kick from Dean Cox was pushed out well by McCarey.

The O's took the lead with four minutes to go when a cross from the left found its way across to Moses Odubajo on the far side and he applied the finish as he got ahead of his marker.

The final minute saw Ashley Hemmings replace Paterson as The Saddlers won a free-kick that was delivered into the area but cleared.

A foul on Andy Butler gave Walsall a free-kick out wide which was delivered into the area by Andy Taylor, but with every other Saddlers' player in the area, including McCarey, The O's 'keeper gathered to take the pressure off his side.

FULL-TIME: Leyton Orient 2 Walsall 1

LEYTON ORIENT: Jamie Jones, Leon McSweeney, Ben Chorley, Mathieu Baudry, Dean Cox, Kevin Lisbir, Moses Odubajo, Lee Cook, Martin Rowlands, Lloyd James, David Mooney. Subs: Scott Cuthbert, Anthony Griffith, Michael Symes, Ryan Allsop, Adolabi Obafemi, Ryan Brunt, Alex Smith.

WALSALL: Aaron McCarey, Andy Butler, Adam Chambers, Will Grigg (George Bowerman), Jamie Paterson (Ashley Hemmings), Febian Brandy (Flo Cuvelier), Ben Purkiss, Paul Downing, Andy Taylor, Sam Mantom, Craig Westcarr. Subs: David Grof, Mal Benning, James Baxendale, James Chambers.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match