Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

13 April 2019 Venue Wham Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Accrington 2-1 Walsall

13 April 2019

Ten-man Saddlers fell to defeat at the Wham Stadium as a double from defender Ross Sykes secured all three points for home side Accrington Stanley.

It took the home side 11 minutes to take the lead as Sean McConville whipped a right-footed free-kick to the back post where the towering Sykes was able to just head the ball down and into the bottom corner. 

Moments later and Stanley nearly doubled their lead following some good build-up play on the right wing between Callum Johnson and Jordan Clark. 

Stanley’s number seven, Clark, shot from just outside the penalty area but his effort rose well above Liam Roberts’ goal and into the travelling Saddlers fans.

Just after the half hour mark and the Saddlers got the bit of luck they were looking for. 

Luke Leahy, sporting the left wing-back role switched the ball over to Devlin and the advancing right wing-back Devlin cut inside his man before finding the bottom corner.

Three minutes before the break and Accrington thought they were back in the lead through Billy See, only for the striker to see his header ruled out for a foul in the build-up on Jon Guthrie. 

Into the second half and it took over 25 minutes for the first chance of the half to be registered. The lively McConville found some room on the left but his curling effort didn’t quite bend enough and it sailed past Roberts’ far post.

With 69 minutes on the clock, the home side regained the lead though as Sykes scored his second of the game at the second time of asking.

A high ball into the box was controlled by Sykes and although his first effort was saved by Roberts, he was able to control the the rebound and poke it home from eight-yards out.

With seven minutes left to play Martin O’Connor’s side were reduced to 10-men as Josh Gordon picked up a second yellow card for a foul on substitute Ben Richards-Everton and he was shown his marching orders.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match